Business insurance

Buy insurance with Hiscox to join over 400,000* UK-based small businesses like yours. 

Do you run a consultancy firm? An architect's studio? Maybe you have a hair salon, or work freelance. Either way, business insurance lets you stay focused on your work, without worrying about unexpected costs. Get a quote tailored to your business’ needs in minutes.


Online quote in 5 minutes

Get a quote


Why choose Hiscox to protect your business?



Flexible cover from £8.40 a month*Our small business insurance quotes start low. Build tailored cover with us.

*Figures based on an average of all business insurance policies sold to at least 10% of our customer base between April 2023 and April 2024


Wider business support Get access to the Business Support Hub and Hiscox Risk Academy.


Award-winning service

We're proud winners of the Feefo Platinum Trusted Service award in 2024.

Not sure what you need?

Let us show you how we can help protect your business

First of all, tell us what you do

You've told us:

Looks like you're having trouble finding an exact match.

We may be able to offer you cover based on your business sector.

Looks like you're having trouble finding an exact match.

We may be able to offer you cover based on your business sector.

Your industry
Your turnover

What is business insurance?

Business insurance is a type of cover that can protect UK firms against losses. It helps to safeguard small businesses against compensation claims and legal costs. Your policy can counter risks that come with business activity. It’s also known as commercial insurance.

With Hiscox, there are a few types to choose from. They can help small businesses like limited companies and sole traders. 

The major insurance types include: 

  • Professional indemnity insurance
  • Public liability insurance
  • Employers’ liability insurance
  • Cyber insurance
  • Property insurance, such as business contents.

Tailored business insurance policies can prepare you for the unexpected. For example, data loss, compensation claims or specialist equipment damage. 

The right cover can help to manage costs. Sometimes, there’s also hands-on support.

Do I need business insurance?

Business insurance is available for any company that provides a service. If this is you, there might be a risk of claims and lawsuits.

Some industry bodies also set out insurance requirements.

You might need business insurance in the UK if you are a:

You could be a firm with a 100-strong headcount, or a team of one. A part-timer, or a family business.

When judging your business insurance needs, think about:

Laws and contracts

UK companies that employ staff may need to have employers’ liability insurance. The rules are set out in law.

Other policies, such as public liability, offer extra reassurance. At times, a contract or council may ask for them.

Business risks

You may find your business needs insurance to deal with the unexpected. For example:

  • Slips and trips
  • Workplace illness
  • Service complaints
  • Negligence claims
  • Office theft
  • Flooding
  • Hacking events
  • Breaking copyright.

Even if you aren’t at fault, costs can add up. For example, you may need to cover legal fees.
A business insurance policy can offer support.

Seamless process. Thank you for the services which you provide. I will definitely recommend Hiscox to other small business owners.
Trusted Customer
Read all reviews

Hiscox is rated 4.8/5 on Feefo. This comes from real customer reviews in the past year. In all, we have 3524 reviews.

Get a quote for your business in minutes

Tell us about your business. We’ll build your quote and explore insurance needs.

Build my cover

Who we cover

Hiscox offers specialist insurance to a wide range of industry sectors. We cover over 400,000 businesses* in the UK.

Do you trade with tools? Maybe you provide specialist services. Our business insurance can support many UK firms.

Plumbers and carpenters can benefit from our products. As can software developers and marketing and media agencies.

We even create customised small business insurance for specialist areas. This applies to: 

*based on the number of policies sold in 2023.

Business insurance for your profession

With Hiscox, business insurance quote can be tailored to your profession.

Get the right cover

Tell us what you do

First of all, tell us what you do

You've told us:

Looks like you're having trouble finding an exact match.

We may be able to offer you cover based on your business sector.

Looks like you're having trouble finding an exact match.

We may be able to offer you cover based on your business sector.

Your industry
Your turnover

Types of business insurance cover

Professional indemnity

Professional indemnity insurance is there to help if you have been negligent. Or if you’re simply accused of it. It can step in if a client believes you got something wrong that lost them money. We’ll be there to help with damages and legal fees so you can focus on running your business.

Learn more about professional indemnity insurance.

Public liability

This helps protect your business if someone claims you caused property damage. It can also help with claims from the public of illness or injury because of your work. Whatever you do for a living, accidents happen. If a customer or courier makes a claim, this insurance policy covers court fees and damages.

Learn more about public liability insurance.

Product liabilityYou can buy product liability insurance with your public liability cover. This supports your business if a product causes injury, illness or damage. Insurance can help if you design, produce, make, repair, alter or supply a product.

Learn more about product liability insurance.

Employers’ liability

This may be a requirement under UK law. It protects you if an employee is injured on your premises. Or if they become ill and say it’s because of work. You might need cover for full-time employees, part-time staff, volunteers and helpers. This policy helps with the costs of defending or settling a legal claim. 

Learn more about employers’ liability insurance.

Cyber and data

If you’re hacked, it can cost money to put things right. That’s what our cyber cover is for. It can also help with data breaches and crime. Some firms can add optional cyber business interruption insurance. Depending on your turnover, this may help with costs if your business can't run because of a cyber event.

Learn more about cyber insurance.

Personal accident

In a micro-business, you might not have a rainy-day fund. In a start-up, you may rely on key people. That’s where personal accident insurance can help. If you or a named employee can’t work due to an accidental injury, we’ll provide up to £250 per week. If a serious accident affects your livelihood, this type of cover can pay a lump sum. 

Learn more about personal accident insurance.

Hiscox can also provide covers such as: 

Taking out specialist insurance may be a good idea in some fields. Find out more about what we cover.

Get an online quote for your business in minutes

We can build your business insurance quote. Explore your cover requirements.

Build my cover

How business insurance works


Tell us about your unique business Start with your sector to see what you can add. We’ll ask for details like your business name and its annual turnover, plus an overview of your employees.


Tailor your insurance by choosing policies  Include the products you want and avoid those you don’t. You’re in control.


Get your quote and documents

Generate a quote in minutes, online or by phone. Buy your cover and get documents by email.


Inclusions and exclusions vary by product type. See your policy documents for full details.

Ready to learn more? Speak to our customer services team for further policy details.

You can contact us:

  • By phone
  • By live chat.

Why Hiscox business insurance?

Why choose Hiscox? Because when things go wrong, we put them right. 

We’re the small business insurance experts. We know how hard you work to build your business. And we help you protect your good name.

Innovation and service are central to what we do, as seen with our CyberClear Academy

We provide an award-winning service too. We’re proud winners of the Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award in 2023. This independent seal of excellence comes from real customers.

With Hiscox business insurance, you get a:

  • Range of cover limits 
  • Specialist claims team on hand.

Thanks to all this, you can rest assured you’ve got the right cover in place. But don’t just take our word for it – check out our reviews and ratings on Feefo (external link).

View our business insurance reviews page to see how our customers feel about working with us

We know that with the right insurance, your business can flourish. Even when there’s a challenge. 

Get an online business insurance quote. Find out how Hiscox commercial cover can keep your empire healthy.

Have a question? There are a range of ways to contact us for business insurance guidance.

Business insurance FAQs

Is business insurance a legal requirement in the UK?

Some types of business insurance are required under UK law. As such, many companies might need employers’ liability cover. 

While others may not be a legal requirement, they are a safeguard. For example, public liability insurance. Horse riding firms may need this by law (external link). For others, this cover can help protect against costly claims. It’s a safety net.

How much does business insurance cost?

The total cost of your business insurance policy depends on:

  • The type of cover you need
  • The value of that cover
  • Risks specific to your company or industry.

With Hiscox, small business insurance quotes start from £8.40 per month*. Find out more about the cost of business insurance.

*Figures based on an average of all business insurance policies sold to at least 10% of our customer base between April 2023 and April 2024.

Can I get business insurance before registering my business?

Yes. You can get business insurance before you register your limited company. This means you can get full protection from day one. 

When you set up a new business, buying insurance might be one of the first things you do. This helps make sure any property, IT systems and liabilities are taken care of. 

How long is a quote valid for?

An online Hiscox business insurance quote can be saved for later. You’ll just need to create an account and log in to retrieve it. Quotes are valid for 45 days. 

If you aren’t ready to buy cover just yet, opt for us to stay in touch. We’ll keep you updated with the latest products, price points and special offers.

Can I get business insurance without a trade licence?

Yes. It is possible to take out business insurance before you receive your trade licence. This offers the reassurance that you’re covered as soon as you launch your business. 

However, note that your policy might be invalid if you start trading before this arrives. It could mean claims aren’t paid.

What are some real-life examples of Hiscox business insurance claims?

We’ve helped with cases like: 

  • The software professional accused of sub-standard development work
  • The wildlife photographer whose kit was stolen by baboons.

Read through our business insurance claims stories to get a clearer picture.

How can I pay for business insurance?

Pay for Hiscox business insurance by:

  • Debit card
  • Monthly direct debit
  • Annual direct debit.

You can cancel any time with no fees. 

coloured note cards stuck to glass meeting room door

How to start a business

Running a business takes guts. It’s a thrilling ride, with ups and downs. Read our guide to starting a business to set the wheels in motion.

man reading from notepad in front of business laptop

‘Claims made’ vs ‘claims occurring’

Business insurance policies can be written on two bases. Read our guide to understanding insurance terms to go beyond the jargon.

sole trader completing paperwork from home office

What type of business insurance does a sole trader need?

Preparing to go it alone? Learn about insurance for the self-employed before you get started.

computers with code on screen

Small business guide to cyber-attacks

Don’t know what an SQL injection is? Or how to spot phishing? Some SME and micro-business owners don’t. Our FAQ guide to cyber-attacks runs through the basics.

employer shaking hands with injured employee

What is the Employers’ Liability Act?

Learn more about what the Employers’ Liability Act is and how it may affect the business insurance you take out.

men in meeting

What is a business asset?

When you set up a business, you may gather items to help you operationally over time. Learn what a business asset is with the help of Hiscox.