Business insurance for Carpenters

With Hiscox, carpenters and joiners can tailor insurance to suit the way they work. Whether you’re building a hand-crafted staircase in a client’s home or shopfitting for a commercial contract, we’ve got your back. 
You might want to add public liability insurance to your tailored carpenters’ policy, which can cover you if a customer is injured.  Professional indemnity insurance for carpenters can help should you be accused of providing negligent services or advice.


Online quote in 5 minutes

Get a quote


Why choose Hiscox for your carpenters' insurance?


Tailored cover from just £8.40 per month*

Our flexible and accessible cover is available from just £8.40, which means you can spend more time and money on your carpentry.

*Figures based on an average of all business insurance policies sold to at least 10% of our customer base between January 2023 and January 2024


Business support, whenever you need it

When carpenters build a business insurance policy with us, as one of our discounted services, we provide access to expert advice through our Business Support Hub.


Get the right cover in minutes

Carpenters and joiners can build a tailored insurance policy with Hiscox online in minutes. Simply tell us what you do, and we'll help set up your personalised policy. 

Get a quote for your business in minutes

Tell us about your business – We’ll help you to build your quote and explore your insurance needs.

Get a quote

Why do carpenters need insurance?

Poor flooring advice

You complete an installation of an oak Herringbone floor for the premises of a local business. After the installation they get in touch to ask for advice about aftercare for the floor. A junior employee recommends cleaning equipment and products – but this was incorrect advice and using them damages the floor. The customer brings a claim against you for the costs they had to pay to fix the floor. 

A professional indemnity policy is designed to help protect you from the costs of claims of negligence, including the legal costs and compensation you may have to pay.

Damage to pipes

While fitting wooden shelves in a client’s airing cupboard, you slip and accidentally burst a water pipe. This causes water damage to their home, damaging carpets and wallpaper in the surrounding area. If they seek damages, the right business insurance can help.

For carpenters who accidentally cause injury or property damage, public liability insurance can help to cover the cost of compensation and legal fees, helping you to stay on track.

Broken tools

From coping saws to mitre saws, you can’t work without the tools of your trade. If a saw is accidentally dropped, cracked or dented, it can cause real problems. Alongside having to fork out for repairs or replacements, you’re left dealing with disgruntled clients while things come to a halt.

Our property away and in transit insurance, also known as tool insurance, could help. This protects your valued tools against damage, loss and theft so you can get back to work as quickly as possible.

Key types of insurance for carpenters

As a carpenter or joiner, you might also add insurance types such as employers’ liability, which is often a legal requirement (external link) if you have staff. Cyber insurance, portable equipment insurance and legal protection insurance could also prove useful.

Reassuring business cover.
Very good and reassuring to know you have the right cover for the right price.
Dynamic HSEQ Solutions
Read all reviews
Get your business insurance quote in minutes.

Not sure what you need? These are just some of the types of business insurance for carpenters and joiners we can offer. Tell us more about your business to build a tailored policy.

Get your quote

Insurance for carpenters: FAQs

How much does insurance for carpenters cost?

When it comes to insurance for carpenters, the price you’ll pay depends on the covers you take out. For example, at Hiscox, professional indemnity insurance starts at £8.00*. But you may tailor that with other covers, such as public liability. 

*Figures based on an average of all professional indemnity policies sold to at least 10% of our customer base between January 2023 and January 2024

Can I get insurance for non-carpentry work?

Yes, Hiscox business insurance policies can be tailored for many trades. For example, you can tailor your policy to suit your fencing, handyman, or interior design business.

When building your cover, just remember to make us aware about all aspects of your business, so we can make sure you’re getting the right policy to suit you. Also, keep in mind that not all insurance products will be available for all trades. Please contact us to chat with one of our experts. 

Does public liability cover mistakes made by my employees?

Public liability insurance can cover mistakes made by your employees, as long as they’re directly employed by you or your business. For example, this wouldn’t cover mistakes made by hired freelancers or contractors. However, public liability insurance could offer reassurance should one of your apprentices make an error.

What happens if I don’t have employers’ liability insurance?

If you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance, for every day you don’t have it in place, you can be fined up to £2,500 by the government (external link). You may also be fined £1,000 if your employers’ liability certificate is not accessible or on display.

By law, most businesses and sole traders who employ others need employers’ liability insurance in place. There are some exceptions – for example, some family businesses – but it’s down to you to check whether this applies to you.