Why choose Hiscox Trades and Construction insurance?
If you're an independent trades and construction contractor in the UK, we have insurance tailored to your needs. We offer a flexible approach to provide the cover that best suits your business. We also have a fast and fair claims service to minimise any interruption to your business.
What cover does our Trades and Construction insurance provide?
You'll be covered for public and products liability with many more optional covers available so you only pay for what you need.
We cover claims for:
- injury to clients or members of the public, or damage to their property as a result of your business activities
- injury to clients or members of the public, or damage to their property as a result of any products you install
- financial loss by any third party as a result of your work, including defective workmanship
- failure to secure clients’ premises, loss of their keys or unauthorised use of their phones.
If someone is injured due to work you have done or if you inadvertently damage someone else's property while you are at work, for example, if you are making improvements to their home, then you can rest assured we'll cover you. This could range from someone falling over your equipment to an installed fuse box being faulty.
Our public and products liability insurance also covers you if a client or member of the public is injured while visiting your workplace. If you receive a claim for financial loss as a result of your work we will also pay any compensation to the injured party on your behalf as well as the costs of defending the claim against you.
Who needs Trades and Construction insurance?
You may need Trades and Construction insurance if you:
- rely on tools to carry out your work
- own your workplace
- visit other people's homes or other contractors' sites
- have employees
Get a quote for your business in minutes
Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts.
Call us on 0808 2509 140
What types of trades do we cover?
Here are a few examples of the independent contractors that we protect:
- Carpet and flooring contractors
- Heating and ventilation contractors
- Kitchen and bathroom fitters
- Landscape gardeners, timber decking and paving contractors
- Painters, decorators and plasterers
You might also want to consider
If you have employees, it is a legal requirement that you hold employers' liability cover. This covers the costs of defending you and paying compensation for claims made by any employee for injury or disease because of the work they do for you. It covers:
- permanent employees
- temporary staff
- apprentices and volunteers
- anyone completing work experience
Portable tools cover
Whether your portable tools are owned or hired, they can be covered for replacement or repair following loss or damage anywhere in the UK and/or Ireland.
Business interruption cover
You can choose to add business interruption to your insurance, which would protect you against the loss of income or profit and additional expenses your business might face if your tools were stolen or damaged, or if damage in the vicinity meant that you couldn't access your workplace.
Contents cover provides protection for the stock, computers, and fixtures and fittings in your workplace if they are stolen, including business contents kept at the home of any partner, director or employee of yours. We also provide cover if your business contents are damaged, for example, due to a fire at your workplace.
If you own your workplace, our buildings cover will protect the building from unexpected events such as flood or fire damage.