Why choose Construction and Tradesman Insurance from Hiscox?

If you're an independent tradesman or construction contractor working in the UK, we have tradesman insurance options tailored to suit you. We offer a flexible approach to provide the cover that best suits your construction and maintenance business, as well as a fast and fair claims service to minimise any interruption to your operations.

Whether you are a jack of all trades or a skilled construction worker, at Hiscox we understand that you need tradesman insurance cover to protect your business. Whether you are a start-up or a long-term established business, we will have the tradesmen liability insurance to suit you.

Tailor our policies to your business needs and vulnerabilities; choose the products that are right for you and create a single, comprehensive tradesman insurance solution.

What does insurance for tradesman and contractors cover?

As a UK construction company or self-directed constructor, you'll be covered for public and products liability with many more optional covers available, so you only pay for what you need.

Through our construction and tradesmen public liability insurance we cover claims for:

• injury to clients or members of the public, or damage to their property as a result of your business activities

• injury to clients or members of the public, or damage to their property as a result of any products you install

• financial loss by any third party as a result of your work, including defective workmanship

• failure to secure clients’ premises, loss of their keys or unauthorised use of their phones

Construction pl insurance will cover you if someone is injured due to work you have done or if you inadvertently damage someone. This could range from protecting you against compensation costs should someone fall over your equipment or making a claim regarding a faulty fuse box.

Our public and products liability insurance also covers you if a client or member of the public is injured while visiting your workplace. If you receive a claim for financial loss as a result of your construction or maintenance work, we will also pay any compensation to the injured party on your behalf as well as the costs of defending the claim against you.

Construction professional indemnity insurance

Because you provide a professional service to clients, you could be at risk of being challenged on the work you deliver. It could be the overrunning of a project which means an event can’t go ahead as planned, or a product that you’ve sourced that turns out to be not fit for purpose. If a client brings a claim against your business for compensation, you’ll want a professional insurance policy in place that defends and protects you.

That’s why we offer professional indemnity insurance for garden and interior designers. It’s tailored to the needs of consultants or small businesses carrying out design activities and can help protect you against the cost of settling or defending a client’s claim that there is a problem with the work you have done for them.

Hiscox UK

Rated 4.7 out of 5 for satisfied customer service

2807 reviews
Call on 0800 2800 351 Mon - Fri, 8am to 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm excluding bank holidays.

Get a tradesman insurance quote in minutes

  • Award-winning claims service
  • Immediate coverage and documentation
  • No admin fees if you amend your policy

Holiday hours

Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts. Call us on 0800 2800 351

Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts

Tradesman Insurance: What types of trades do we cover?

As a skilled tradesman, you need a versatile insurance policy that will cover you across multiple jobs. Every job in unique and comes with its own set of risks. Here are a few examples of the independent construction and trade contractors that our tradesman insurance protects:

  • carpenters
  • carpet and flooring contractors
  • cleaners
  • electricians
  • heating and ventilation contractors
  • kitchen and bathroom fitters
  • landscape gardeners, timber decking and paving contractors
  • painters, decorators and plasterers
  • plumbers

You might also want to consider

If you have employees, it is a legal requirement for most businesses that you hold employers' liability cover. This covers the costs of defending you and paying compensation for claims made by any employee for injury or disease because of the work they do for you. It covers:

  • permanent employees
  • temporary staff
  • apprentices and volunteers
  • anyone completing work experience

If you have tools that are portable – whether they are owned or hired – they can be covered for replacement or repair following loss or damage anywhere in the UK and/or Ireland.

If you need protection from interruption to your business, you can choose to add this to your insurance. This will protect you against the loss of income or profit and additional expenses your business might face if your tools were stolen or damaged, or if damage in the vicinity meant that you couldn't access your workplace.

If you need cover for assets in your workplace, our contents cover provides protection for the stock, computers, and fixtures and fittings if they are stolen, including business contents kept at the home of any partner, director or employee of yours. We also provide cover if your business contents are damaged, for example, due to a fire at your workplace.

If you own your workplace, our buildings cover will protect the building from unexpected events such as flood or fire damage.

Get a quote for your business in minutes

Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts.

Holiday hours

Call us on 0800 2800 351

Start your business award 2017

Tradesman Insurance: Your policy

We want you to understand the cover we offer.

What is your profession?

Find out more about the range of insurance covers we offer to specific industries and professions in the list below: