Why choose retail and shop insurance?

If you're a specialist independent retailer in the UK, we have insurance tailored to you. We offer a flexible approach to provide complete cover that best suits your business. We also have a fast and fair claims service to minimise any interruption to your business.

What cover does our retail and shop insurance provide?

You'll be covered for public and products liability and contents with many more optional covers available so you only pay for what you need.

We cover claims for:

  • loss of or damage to the contents of your shop, including your stock, fixtures and fittings
  • theft of business funds from your shop, from employees’ homes or while in transit
  • injury to customers or damage to their property following an accident in your shop
  • injury to customers or damage to their property due to faulty products you sold.

Our retail and shop insurance policies come complete with public and products liability cover. In retail, public liability insurance covers you if someone is injured by your products or while visiting your shop or workplace. For example, if you were to inadvertently sell a nut-free cake that contained nuts.

If you own a shop or retail business, insurance also includes cover for accusations of libel or slander against you or if you accidentally breach someone's intellectual property rights. If this happens, we will pay any compensation on your behalf as well as the costs of defending the claim against you.

Contents insurance is another core cover of our retail and shop insurance policies. This protects your stock if it is stolen or damaged, for example due to a fire on your premises. If this happens, we will increase the amount your stock is insured for to its value at your busiest period, without you having to tell us.

Hiscox UK

Rated 4.7 out of 5 for satisfied customer service

2807 reviews
Call on 0800 2800 351 Mon - Fri, 8am to 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm excluding bank holidays.

Who needs retail and shop insurance?

You may need retail and shop insurance if you have:

  • stock for sale or look after your customers' goods for service or repair
  • customers who visit you at your premises or you visit them at theirs
  • business funds that you keep at your shop, in employees’ homes, and transport around.

Get a quote for your business in minutes

  • Award-winning claims service
  • Immediate coverage and documentation
  • No admin fees if you amend your policy

Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts. Call us on 0800 2800 351

What type of retailers do we cover?

Here are a few examples of some of the specialist retailers that we protect:

  • arts, crafts and antiques
  • furniture shops
  • clothing, shoes and tailors
  • hairdressers
  • coffee shops and delicatessens
  • kitchen and bathroom stores
  • electrical and audio visual retailers
  • luggage and handbag shops
  • fabrics, knitting and sewing shops
  • pet shops
  • florists and garden centres
  • sports equipment shops.
Start your business award 2017

Winner 8 years running

You might also want to consider

If you have employees, it is a legal requirement that you hold employers' liability cover. This covers the costs of defending you and paying compensation for claims made by any employee for injury or disease because of the work they do for you. It covers:

  • permanent employees
  • temporary staff
  • apprentices and volunteers
  • anyone completing work experience

If you need cover in the event that your business is unable to operate, you can choose to add business interruption to your insurance. This would protect you against the loss of profit and additional expenses your business might face if your stock was stolen or damaged, or if you couldn't trade due to failure in the supply of water, gas or electricity.

Our business interruption cover also includes loss of attraction, so we would cover any loss of profit due to a drop in footfall if, for example, your shop is based near a popular venue which unexpectedly closes following damage. If you also trade online, our cover for failure of broadband and online marketplaces will protect you if you're unable to trade as usual.

If you are ever faced with a dispute by a client, supplier or employee, commercial legal protection will help give you peace of mind. It's underwritten by market leaders in specialist legal insurance, DAS, and covers the cost of the commercial legal advice and representation required to defend your legal rights relating to employment disputes, legal proceedings, property protection, injury and tax protection.

If you own your shop, our buildings cover will protect the building from unexpected events such as flood or fire damage.

Get a quote for your business in minutes

Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts.

Call us on 0800 2800 351

Your policy

We want you to understand the cover we offer.

What is your profession?

Find out more about the range of insurance covers we offer to specific industries and professions in the list below:

Shop Owner Guides, Articles & Answers