Cover against claims for malpractice and liability
As a professional massage therapist you deal with clients in vulnerable positions every day and their health and wellbeing will be one of your primary concerns. But accidents can happen. Your business needs to be protected if something happens for which you’re held liable.
If it was alleged that you had acted negligently, or a client claimed that your massage treatment had made a pre-existing condition worse, you could face legal proceedings. With our professional packages tailored to your business, you relax in the knowledge that your practice is protected if the worst should happen
Professional treatment liability insurance for massage therapists
Professional treatment liability insurance will protect you if something goes wrong while you’re treating a client. For example, if:
- A client claims that your massage worsened a slipped disc, and they had since been unable to work
- A client reacts badly to the products used on their body, and claims compensation from you for the injury
In these situations, you could be brought to court, taking on legal costs and potentially paying a settlement. With this kind of massage liability insurance, you’ll be covered for any compensation you are required to pay as well as for the cost of defending the claim (up to the limit of the cover you select).
Massage therapists’ public liability insurance
Whether you work in one location, or you travel to clients for their treatments, your business could be held liable for damage to a member of the public, or third-party property – even if it was not during a treatment.
Professional liability treatment insurance for massage therapists will only cover accidents which happen while you are working with a client. There are many circumstances where massage therapists’ public liability insurance would be necessary. For example, if:
- A client is injured while on your premises. For example, if they tripped on a carpet.
- A client’s property is damaged by your business. For example, if you knock a valuable piece of pottery off a shelf and it smashes.
- You or one of your employees has a car accident while working. If the accident causes personal injury or property damage, your business could be held legally responsible.
More about Hiscox Public Liability insurance
Employers’ liability insurance
Do you employ other people in your massage business? If so, there’s always a chance that they could become injured or ill because of something that happens at work. This could result in them taking legal action to seek compensation from you. And if you were exposed for breaking health and safety regulations, you could be prosecuted.
Employer’s liability insurance can give you the protection you need in these situations, potentially covering the cost of defending or settling legal cases. However, it’s worth noting that this kind of massage liability insurance only covers your employees, and it doesn’t protect you personally.
More about Hiscox Employers’ liability insurance
Do I need both public liability + Employers’ liability insurance?
If you employ one or more members of staff, your business is legally required to have employer’s liability insurance. Public liability insurance is not required legally, but many businesses that serve members of the public think that this kind of massage liability insurance is essential. It’s worth noting that your employees are not covered by public liability insurance.
Personal accident insurance for massage therapists
Our personal accident insurance is designed to support you, as a business owner, if you or a key employee are unable to work due to an accidental bodily injury. The sudden loss of a member of staff could have a significant detrimental effect on your business. This massage therapist insurance policy can help protect against the financial impact by providing your business with a lump sum or weekly amount up to the limit of your cover.
More about Hiscox Personal Accident insurance
Office insurance for massage therapists
Our office contents policy protects home or office-based small businesses against the cost of replacing or repairing your business equipment if it is accidentally damaged, lost or stolen. You can also add a range of specialist covers to your policy such as:
- Portable equipment – cover for equipment outside of the office, such as phones, or massage tables
- Business interruption – cover for the financial losses that result from being unable to trade due to an unexpected interruption
- Equipment breakdown – cover for the sudden electrical or mechanical breakdown of your office equipment.
More about Hiscox Office Insurance
Winner 8 years running
Tailor your business insurance quote
- Award-winning claims service
- Immediate coverage and documentation
- No admin fees if you amend your policy
Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts. Call us on 0800 2800 351
Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm, excluding bank holidays. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts
What is your profession?
Find out more about the range of insurance covers we offer to specific industries and professions in the list below: