With your customers relying on your expertise and professionalism, purchasing heating engineers’ insurance is an important step to take to ensure your business can continue servicing households for years to come.

Whether you’re purchasing gas engineer insurance or insurance for your heating or air conditioning engineer business, it’s only by considering all the factors involved that you’ll be able to purchase comprehensive cover that keeps your business protected against all claims. This could be everything from installing heating and cooling systems, to dealing with members of the public and working on private property.

Heating engineer professional indemnity insurance

As a heating, ventilation or air conditioning engineer, you may find that giving your customers advice about their home temperature control is a major aspect of your profession. While you pride yourself on your expert advice and professional service, your customers could still hold you liable if anything goes wrong.

Professional indemnity insurance can help protect your business against claims that you’ve caused your customer to suffer a financial or physical loss. This form of heating engineers’ insurance can be useful to cover the cost of compensation and legal fees, as well as the cost of repairing any damage or treating any injuries.

More about Hiscox Professional Indemnity Insurance

If your work involves the internal plumbing systems of your customers, you may find plumbers insurance offers a more appropriate range of cover.

Hiscox UK

Rated 4.7 out of 5 for satisfied customer service

2807 reviews
Call on 0800 2800 351 Mon - Fri, 8am to 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm excluding bank holidays.

Liability insurance for heating engineers 

As a business that deals regularly with members of the public, you may find public liability insurance to be helpful in keeping your business protected. It’s a type of gas engineer insurance that provides cover in the event that a member of the public accuses you or your business of causing damage to their property or causing them injury. It can cover the cost of defending against, and paying compensation for such claims, as well as cover any medical bills and the cost of repair or replacement.

Public liability insurance can protect your heating, ventilation or air conditioning business in situations such as:

  • If you accidentally cause damage to property: For example, if you accidentally damage a neighbour’s wall when installing an air conditioning unit for a customer.
  • If there’s an injury at your place of work, or as a result of your work: For example, if a member of the public accidentally trips on the electric cables you’ve left on the floor in a public walkway.

More about Hiscox Public Liability Insurance

Employers’ liability insurance for heating engineers

If you have one or more members of staff working for you, you’re legally required to purchase employers’ liability insurance. This type of heating engineers’ insurance can provide the financial help needed to protect against claims from your employees that they have fallen ill or become injured as a result of working for you. Employers’ liability insurance can cover the cost of defending and settling legal cases, as well as any medical costs.

More about Hiscox Employers’ Liability Insurance

Do I need both public liability + employers’ liability insurance? 

When it comes to gas, heating and air conditioning engineer insurance, you’ll need to decide whether to purchase both public and employers’ liability insurance. While employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have people working for you, public liability insurance is not legally required. However, as you regularly deal with members of the public as part of your heating or cooling engineers business, you may find public liability insurance to be invaluable cover.

Start your business award 2017

Winner 8 years running

Office insurance

As a tradesman, your business premises – and the tools and equipment within it – are crucial to keep your business going. Our office contents policy protects home or office-based small businesses against the cost of repairing or replacing any business equipment that is damaged, lost or stolen.

For your heating engineering business, you may wish to add a range of specialist covers to your policy, including:

  • Tool cover: covers equipment used for your business, including combustion analyser kits and manometers.
  • Portable equipment: covers equipment used outside of your business premises, including portable electronics such as mobiles and laptops.
  • Business interruption: covers any financial losses you may experience from being unable to trade due to an unexpected interruption to your business.
  • Equipment breakdown: covers the cost of repairing or replacing office equipment after sudden electrical or mechanical breakdown.

More about Hiscox Office Insurance

Tailor your business insurance quote

  • Award-winning claims service
  • Immediate coverage and documentation
  • No admin fees if you amend your policy

Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts. Call us on 0800 2800 351

Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm, excluding bank holidays. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts

Cyber and data insurance

If you use a computer for your business, you may want to add cyber and data insurance to your heating engineers’ insurance package. Whether you use your computer for record keeping, stock taking or arranging appointments, your systems could be vulnerable to a hacker attack or suffer a data leak that could be devastating to your business. If this happens, cyber and data insurance can provide the funds needed for any potential legal and recovery costs you might face.

More about Hiscox Cyber and Data Risks Insurance

Personal accident insurance

As part of your air conditioning engineer insurance – or your heating engineers insurance – you may want to include personal accident insurance. This type of insurance is designed to provide financial support to help cover bills and expenses if you’re unable to work due to an accident, injury or illness.

Personal accident insurance can cover the cost of any potential business losses you incur, as well as the cost of medical bills and retraining staff. You can access the funds in a lump sum or choose weekly pay-outs. You can also apply the same cover to a key member of staff, for similar circumstances.

More about Hiscox Personal Accident Insurance

What is your profession?

Find out more about the range of insurance covers we offer to specific industries and professions in the list below: