Business insurance for Bathroom and kitchen fitters

Insurance for kitchen and bathroom fitters can help to protect your business as you lay the tiles and fit the bath suite. 

Whether it’s employers’ liability protecting against employee injuries, or public liability to assist with damage caused to a customer’s home. Your tools are your livelihood, too. Protect against physical loss or accidental damage for tools, on your premises or on-site, with tailored contents cover options. 

The right kitchen and bathroom installation insurance can help. 

Online quote in 5 minutes

Get a quote


Why choose Hiscox for insurance as a bathroom and kitchen fitter?


Cover from £8.40* 

Our insurance policies can be built around your specific needs, so you only have to pay for what you need.


*Figures based on an average of all business insurance policies sold to at least 10% of our customer base between January 2023 and January 2024


Award-winning insurer 

At Hiscox we’re proud of what we do, and so are our customers. We’re rated 4.8/5 by real customers on Feefo over the past year. 


Expert support 

We know having the right information can help when you run a small business. That’s why you can reach out to our experts for assistance.

Get your business covered

Get a quote for business insurance and any covers you might need.

Build my cover

Why do bathroom and kitchen fitters need insurance?

An employee injury

While your labourers help to fit a client’s new kitchen, a particularly awkward unit proves hard to shift. The result is an employee injuring their back. Their GP diagnoses them with a slipped disc and says they need to stay off work until it heals.

If your employee claims they weren't given the correct training, they might take legal action for compensation. Employers’ liability insurance is typically required by law if you employ staff. Even if these are casual workers or labour-only sub-contractors.

You burst a pipe

When installing a new bathroom sink at a client’s property, you accidentally burst a pipe. The water damage to your client’s home is extensive and will cost a substantial amount. While you fix up as much as you can, the customer remains unhappy, and threatens to sue. 

If they choose to seek compensation, public liability insurance could prove useful. It can help with compensation and legal costs you may have to pay.

Failing power tools

Your trusty hand-powered router has helped you shape the wood on some beautiful custom kitchens. So, when it packs up halfway through a project it’s catch 22. You can’t quite cover the cost of replacing it until you get paid for this job. And you can’t finish this job until you replace it.  
With equipment breakdown insurance, you can relax. It’ll help to cover you for the cost of replacing your malfunctioning router, so you can finish the job as agreed – and create a perfect finish to your client’s woodwork.   

What insurance is available for bathroom and kitchen fitters?

Some kitchen or bathroom fitters, when considering insurance, may decide to include other covers. For example, cyber and data, legal protection and commercial property insurance.


Contact us to talk through the options.

The best business insurer. So easy to buy from.”
Trusted Customer
Read all reviews
Not sure what you need?

If you’re not sure what you need, tell us a little more about your kitchen or bathroom fitting business.

Build my cover

Insurance for bathroom and kitchen fitters: FAQs

Should a bathroom fitter have insurance?

If a bathroom fitter employs someone, they will likely be legally required to hold employers’ liability insurance. You may also choose to take out public liability insurance in case a member of the public is injured or their property damaged through your work.  

Is a bathroom fitter a plumber?

A bathroom fitter isn’t a plumber. However, some fitters may also be able to do plumbing work. Likewise, some plumbers may also be able to fit bathrooms. While the job roles slightly overlap, both will need similar levels of insurance for effective cover. 

If your work covers both fitting and plumbing work, contact us to check what cover is available for each trade. If you tell us you undertake work that involves electrical or gas installation or appliance work, we’ll ask whether you hold a nationally recognised qualification for that. For example, being on the Gas Safe Register (external link) or the Competent Person Electrical Register. We’ll likely need to see this evidence to show you’re qualified for each aspect of your services. 

Do you legally need public liability?

Public liability insurance isn’t a legal requirement for business owners. But many clients will insist you’re covered before you can start work. It can be a condition of a contract, especially in the public sector. Also, if you want to join a trade association or body, they may require a minimum level of PL cover for their members.