As a decorator, you’ll know that working with paint, ladders and tools all day can lead to mishaps. And if an accident causes you to be out of action for a few days, or damages someone else’s property or possessions it could have a financial impact on your business. Which is why it’s so important to protect yourself with painter and decorator insurance.

Professional indemnity insurance for painters and decorators

Painting and decorating doesn’t always mean working with your hands. In your line of work, you may provide your clients with expert advice to help them plan a project or protect and maintain an interior. But however well-thought out that advice might be, even the most experienced professionals make mistakes, and your client could hold you responsible.

Professional indemnity insurance for painters and decorators would cover you if your client suffered a financial loss as a result of your advice. This could include compensation and legal fees, plus the cost of any repairs, damage or injuries.

More about Hiscox Professional Indemnity Insurance

Hiscox UK

Rated 4.7 out of 5 for satisfied customer service

2807 reviews
Call on 0800 2800 351 Mon - Fri, 8am to 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm excluding bank holidays.

Painter & decorator public liability insurance

Public liability insurance for painters and decorators is one of the most important types of cover you’ll want to have in place. This type of insurance will cover you if a member of the public is injured, or their property damaged because of your business activities. With painter and decorator public liability insurance you’re covered for situations such as:

  • If you accidentally damage a client’s property - For example, if you accidentally damaged an expensive piece of art in the course of your decorating
  • If a member of the public hurt themselves as a result of your work – For example, if someone tripped and fell over your paint pots or tools you’d left on the floor.

More about Hiscox Public Liability Insurance

Employers’ liability insurance for painters & decorators

Do you employ other people in your painting or decorating business? If so, there’s always a chance they could become injured or ill because of something that happens at work. If this were to happen, your employee could hold you responsible and seek compensation from you.

With employers’ liability insurance, your business would be protected in such an event. With the right level of cover, you could also protect your decorating business against the cost of defending or settling legal cases. However, it’s worth noting this kind of painter and decorator’s insurance only covers your staff and it doesn’t protect you personally.

More about Hiscox Employers’ liability insurance

Do I need both public liability + employers’ liability insurance?

If you employ one or more members of staff, you’re legally obliged to have employer’s liability insurance. Public liability insurance, on the other hand, isn’t a legal requirement, but many painters and decorators still see it as essential cover. However, it’s worth noting that your employees wouldn’t be covered with public liability insurance.

Personal accident insurance

If you or a key employee were to suffer an accidental bodily injury on the job, it could cause significant disruption to your business. Personal accident insurance is designed to support your business during incidents like this, if it means an employee is unable to work. This type of insurance works by protecting you against any financial losses incurred from having a member of staff out of action for a period of time and provides your business with a lump sum or weekly amount up to the limit of your cover.

More about Hiscox Personal Accident insurance

Cyber and data insurance

As the owner of a decorator business, you’ll know your job doesn’t just involve improving clients’ homes. It also involve stock taking, and time spent keeping on top of accounts. If you use a computer to do this, there is always a risk of being attacked by a hacker or experiencing a data leak. With cyber and data insurance, you’re covered for any legal and recovery costs should an incident happen. More importantly, this type of insurance provides you with peace of mind so you can focus on what you do best: painting and decorating.

More about Hiscox Cyber and Data Risks Insurance

Start your business award 2017

Winner 8 years running

Office insurance

Our office contents policy protects home or office-based small businesses against the cost of replacing or repairing your business equipment if it is accidentally damaged, lost or stolen. You can also add a range of specialist covers to your policy such as:

  • Portable equipment – cover for equipment outside of the office, such as mobiles and laptops
  • Business interruption – cover for the financial losses that result from being unable to trade due to an unexpected interruption
  • Equipment breakdown – cover for the sudden electrical or mechanical breakdown of your office equipment

More about Hiscox Office Insurance

Tailor your business insurance quote

  • Award-winning claims service
  • Immediate coverage and documentation
  • No admin fees if you amend your policy

Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts. Call us on 0800 2800 351

Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm, excluding bank holidays. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts

What is your profession?

Find out more about the range of insurance covers we offer to specific industries and professions in the list below: