Cover against claims for liability
As a professional life coach, you always have your clients’ best interests at heart. But what if something happens to one of your clients while they’re under your care?
Do I need life coach need insurance?
Your business is a professional endeavour, where you are regularly in contact with third parties – this means that you could be held liable if something unfortunate happened. Insurance for your life coaching business is essential to protect you, your interests and your clients, in the event of an accident.
Professional indemnity insurance for life coaches
As a coaching professional, you’re used to providing expertise and advice across a range of areas for your clients. Your clients rely on you for your specialist knowledge. Whether it’s career advice, coping techniques or personal mentoring, they may make decisions based on the professional advice you give.
No matter your expertise, mistakes happen. And if a client faces financial damage as a result of your advice – for example, if they lost their job and blamed your advice – professional indemnity insurance will cover you for the claims made against you.
With Hiscox Life Coach Insurance you’ll be protected against the risks most common in your industry, including cover for:
- failure in a duty to educate – such as not covering all of the syllabus required for completion of a course
- infringement of intellectual property rights – for example using content from a website or publication without permission
- breach of confidence – sharing confidential or sensitive information without consent
- defamation – making false or damaging claims about a person or organisation
- civil liability – if a claim occurs because of your business activity for a client and we haven’t specifically excluded it, it’s covered.
More about Hiscox Professional Indemnity Insurance
Professional treatment liability insurance
Life coaching helps people identify what they want to achieve and give them the tools to make that happen – be it personal or professional. But it’s almost inevitable that some patients will not view your work that way. And if a client ever takes you to court over your work, having professional treatment liability insurance could save you a lot of money. It could help with the costs of defending or settling a court case, or with paying out compensation.
This kind of life coach insurance protects you:
- If a client claims you have given them bad or inappropriate advice
- If a client claims you shared their information without consent or breached confidentiality in some way.
Public liability insurance for life coaches
As a life coach, you might not always see your clients in the same place, and it’s hard to make sure that accidents don’t happen. If a client or a member of the public was accidentally hurt by your business, or damage was caused to a third-party property – you could be held liable. Public liability insurance covers you for incidents which aren’t directly related to your work, for example:
- A client is injured while on your premises. For example, if they tripped on an exposed wire.
- A client’s property is damaged by your business. For example, if you knock a valuable piece of pottery off a shelf and it smashes.
- You or one of your employees has a car accident while working. If the accident causes personal injury or property damage, your business could be held legally responsible.
More about Hiscox Public Liability insurance
Employers’ liability for life coaches
Do you employee other people in your life coaching business? If so, there’s always a chance that they could become injured or ill because of something that happens at work. This could result in them taking legal action to seek compensation from you. And if you were exposed for breaking health and safety regulations, you could be prosecuted.
- Employer’s liability insurance can give you the protection you need in these situations, potentially covering the cost of defending or settling legal cases. However, it’s worth noting that this kind of life coach insurance only covers your employees, and it doesn’t protect you personally.
More about Hiscox Employers’ liability insurance
Do I need both personal liability and employers’ liability insurance?
If you employ one or more members of staff, your business is legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. Public liability insurance is not required legally, but many businesses that serve members of the public think that this kind of liability insurance is essential. It’s worth noting that your employees are not covered by public liability insurance.
Personal accident insurance for life coaches
Our personal accident insurance is designed to support you, as a business owner, if you or a key employee are unable to work due to an accidental bodily injury. The sudden loss of a member of staff could have a significant detrimental effect on your business. This life coach insurance policy can help protect against the financial impact by providing your business with a lump sum or weekly amount up to the limit of your cover.
More about Hiscox Personal Accident Insurance
Cyber and data insurance
As a life coach, computers might not be an integral part of your business, but you probably still use them for record-keeping or appointment-booking. If you do, there is always the risk of being attacked by a hacker or experiencing a data leak. In these situations, cyber and data insurance could be very helpful. This kind of life coach insurance protects you against potential legal and recovery costs in the event of an incident, while providing you with year-round peace of mind.
More about Hiscox Cyber and Data Risks Insurance
If you’re working out of your own premises, it’s worth protecting your home office. If an incident resulted in damage of your office environment, your furniture or your IT equipment, it could make it difficult for you to keep seeing your clients. This is where Hiscox home office insurance can help. It can protect your office against loss or damage, including: • Lost or damaged furniture and office equipment • Increased costs of continuing work following accidental failure of utility services for more than 24 hours • The costs of replacing or reconstituting lost business documents and data • Your liability arising out of revenue-generating activities It’s worth noting that even if you have a home insurance policy, it might not cover your home office.
More about Hiscox Office Insurance
Winner 8 years running
Tailor your business insurance quote
- 0% interest on Direct Debits
- Immediate coverage and documentation
- No admin fees if you amend your policy
Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts. Call us on 0800 2800 351
Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm, excluding bank holidays. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts
What is your profession?
Find out more about the range of insurance covers we offer to specific industries and professions in the list below: