Working in one of the oldest professions in the world, life as a carpenter combines careful detail-work with tough manual labour. It’s a craft that’s hugely varied – you could be repairing skirting in a Victorian terrace, laying the floors for a new build in the country, or fixing, sanding and staining an old piece of furniture. But whatever work you undertake, its essential you have cover to protect you in the event of a claim.

Professional indemnity insurance for carpenters

Craftsmanship doesn’t always mean working with your hands, and as a carpenter you may provide your clients with expert advice to help them plan a project or protect and maintain a piece of work. But however considered that advice might be, even the most experienced professionals make mistakes, and your client could hold you liable.

Professional indemnity insurance for carpenters would cover you if your client suffered a financial loss as a result of your advice. This could include compensation and legal fees, plus the cost of any repairs, damage or injuries.

More about Hiscox Professional Indemnity Insurance

Call on 0800 2800 351 Mon - Fri, 8am to 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm excluding bank holidays.

Carpenters’ public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is one of the most important insurance covers for those running a carpentry business. This type of insurance covers businesses if a member of the public is injured, or their property damaged because of the business’ activities. With public liability insurance for carpenters, this covers you in situations such as:

  • If you accidentally damage a client’s property - For example, if you nicked a water-pipe in the course of your work, causing water damage.
  • If a member of the public hurt themselves as a result of your work – Such as, if someone tripped and fell because you had left your tools on the floor.

More about Hiscox Public Liability Insurance

Employers’ liability insurance for carpenters

Do you employ other people in your carpentry business? If so, there’s always a chance that they could become injured or ill because of something that happens at work. This could result in them taking legal action to seek compensation from you. And if you were exposed for breaking health and safety regulations, you could be prosecuted.

Employer’s liability insurance can give you the protection you need in these situations, potentially covering the cost of defending or settling legal cases. However, it’s worth noting that this kind of cleaning company insurance only covers your employees, and it doesn’t protect you personally.

More about Hiscox Employers’ liability insurance

Do I need both public liability + employers’ liability insurance?

If you employ one or more members of staff, your business is legally required to have employer’s liability insurance. Public liability insurance is not required legally, but many businesses that serve members of the public think that this kind of carpenters’ liability insurance is essential. It’s worth noting that your employees are not covered by public liability insurance.

Hiscox UK

Rated 4.7 out of 5 for satisfied customer service

2807 reviews

Personal accident insurance

Our personal accident insurance is designed to support you, as a carpenter, if you or a key employee are unable to work due to an accidental bodily injury. The sudden loss of a member of staff could have a significant detrimental effect on your business. This carpenters’ insurance could help protect against the financial impact by providing your business with a lump sum or weekly amount up to the limit of your cover.

More about Hiscox Personal Accident insurance

Cyber and data insurance

Running a carpenters’ business, record keeping and stock taking are probably an important part of your enterprise, and you likely use a computer to keep track of your accounts. If you do, there is always the risk of being attacked by a hacker or experiencing a data leak. In these situations, cyber and data insurance could be very helpful. This kind of carpenters’ insurance protects you against potential legal and recovery costs in the event of an incident, while providing you with year-round peace of mind.

More about Hiscox Cyber and Data Risks Insurance

Start your business award 2017

Winner 8 years running

Office insurance

Our office contents policy protects home or office-based small businesses against the cost of replacing or repairing your business equipment if it is accidentally damaged, lost or stolen. You can also add a range of specialist covers to your policy such as:

  • Tool cover – cover for equipment which you use as part of carrying out your work, such as drills and circular saws.
  • Portable equipment – cover for equipment outside of the office, such as mobiles and laptops
  • Business interruption – cover for the financial losses that result from being unable to trade due to an unexpected interruption
  • Equipment breakdown – cover for the sudden electrical or mechanical breakdown of your office equipment

More about Hiscox Office Insurance and Office Contents Insurance

Tailor your business insurance quote

  • Award-winning claims service
  • Immediate coverage and documentation
  • No admin fees if you amend your policy

Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts. Call us on 0800 2800 351

Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm, excluding bank holidays. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts

What is your profession?

Find out more about the range of insurance covers we offer to specific industries and professions in the list below: