Tailored cover for the risks you face
As an engineer you’re used to designing bespoke solutions. Using our knowledge of the risks your industry faces, Hiscox has designed a business insurance policy for engineers, which is tailored to the needs of your profession.
We also understand that small business owners face many risks that can pose a threat to their security where the correct insurance cover isn’t in place. That’s why we offer a range of insurance policies that can be chosen to create the perfect tailored package.
Hiscox engineers professional indemnity insurance
If you are currently working in areas such as building services, electrical inspecting, heating or ventilation, our engineers professional indemnity policy can help protect you if a client claims that there is a problem with the work you have done for them.
Our professional indemnity insurance policy can help protect your business against the cost of settling or defending a client’s claim that there is a problem with the work you have done for them. This could be where a client alleges you have given incorrect advice or made a mistake that is expensive to fix.
Cover is provided for:
- negligence or breach of duty of care – making a mistake in your work or giving bad advice
- disputes caused by your breach of a duty of care referred under the Housing Grants Construction and Regeneration Act 1996
- criminal defence costs relating to a regulation or statute which applies to your business, such as the CDM regulations
- infringement of intellectual property rights – for example using content from a website or publication without permission
- breach of confidence – sharing confidential or sensitive information without consent
- negligent misstatement or misrepresentation – making a mistake or error when providing information
- civil liability – if a claim occurs because of your business activity for a client and we haven’t specifically excluded it, it’s covered.
More information about Hiscox Professional Indemnity Insurance
We want you to understand the PI cover we offer for engineers.
When it comes to engineering, insurance can offer vital protection against a number of elements that could have a dramatic impact on your work should things go wrong. When considering what policies to include in your engineers insurance cover, it helps to assess the most likely risks in the work you do and how you would cope should things go wrong.
For example, if a member of the public were to bring a claim for compensation against you because they’d tripped over tools you left on the pavement, you could benefit from having previously taken out a public liability insurance policy.
Public liability insurance
With our public liability insurance, engineers can rest assured that they’re protected should they face claims for compensation from a member of the public due to bodily injury or property damage. For example, if someone were to trip and fall while on your business premises, we’d cover the compensation you’d need to pay and your defence costs up to the limit of your policy.
More about Hiscox Public Liability Insurance
Employers’ liability insurance
If you employ one or more members of staff, it’s probable that you’ll be legally required to be covered by an employers’ liability insurance policy. Ours is designed to offer cover for the compensation and legal fees you may have to pay if a claim is brought against you by an employee for injury or disease arising from the work they do for you. For example, they may sue you with the claim that they injured themself as a result of a slip, trip or fall in your office.
More about Hiscox Employers' Liability Insurance
Our office contents policy could form a vital part of your engineering insurance if you run a home or office-based small business. It’s designed to cover the cost of replacing or repairing your business equipment if it is accidentally damaged, lost or stolen. You can also add a range of specialist covers to your policy such as:
- portable equipment – cover for equipment outside of the office, such as laptops and phones
- business interruption – cover for the financial losses that result from being unable to trade due to an unexpected interruption
- equipment breakdown – cover for the sudden electrical or mechanical breakdown of your office equipment.
More about Hiscox Office Insurance
Cyber and data risks insurance
Our cyber and data risks insurance supports and protects businesses if they experience a data breach or are the subject of an attack by a malicious hacker that affects their computer systems. It provides comprehensive cover, simplicity, reputation protection and a trusted partner in the event of a claim.
More about Hiscox Cyber and Data Risks Insurance
Personal accident insurance
When it comes to insuring a business, many people forget about what they’d do if they or a key member of their staff were unable to work due to an accidental bodily injury. The loss of income or resource caused by this could be catastrophic, so it’s wise to ensure you’ve got the right cover in place. Hiscox personal accident insurance can help protect against the financial impact of this by paying to the business either a lump sum or a weekly amount.
More about Hiscox Personal Accident Insurance
Winner 8 years running
Tailor your business insurance quote
- Award-winning claims service
- Immediate coverage and documentation
- No admin fees if you amend your policy
Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts. Call us on 0800 2800 351
Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm, excluding bank holidays. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts
What is your profession?
Find out more about the range of insurance covers we offer to specific industries and professions in the list below: