Dance teacher insurance

As a dance teacher, you focus on ensuring your students are safe, having fun and learning in your classes. Insurance is there to help counter the risks that come with the fun.

Depending on the type of dance you teach, your students could be experimenting with complex routines and unfortunately accidents and injuries happen. Whether you are an independent instructor or employ a team of teachers, a business insurance policy protects your finances.

Online quote in 5 minutes

Get a quote


Why choose Hiscox for your dance teacher insurance?


Saving time and money

Our new combined professional, treatment and public liability policy combines multiple covers, saving dance teachers time


Specialists that understand you

There's access to a dedicated insurance claims team that understands a dance teacher's business needs


Support that goes above and beyond

Make hassle-free policy changes – if your offering changes, it's easy to update your insurance. Plus, you can access practical tools through the Business Support Hub

Get a quote for your business in minutes

Tell us about your business – We’ll help you to build your quote and explore your insurance needs.

Get a quote
young people at dance fitness class

Why do dance teachers need insurance?

Dance studio insurance

If you own your dance studio space, commercial buildings insurance can help protect against unforeseen damage and the costs you might incur. Including this cover as part of your dance instructor insurance protects against accidental damage to the property from students trying out new moves, but also against risks such as storms, floods and fire. If you rent your space, then this responsibility falls with your landlord. However, in this case it’s a good idea to add contents insurance to your policy, and if you teach off-site with expensive speakers or other kit, also consider portable equipment cover.

A student gets injured

Whenever you lead a session with students, they will be performing physical movements, meaning there’s always the risk of an accident or injury. A student might trip over a mat, or claim they’ve picked up an injury as a result of a new routine you’ve taught them. In both instances, they could make a claim against you. So, for dance teachers, combined professional, treatment and public liability insurance with Hiscox can be useful. It helps with legal fees and compensation payments – offering reassurance.

You or your staff get injured

When you’re building dance class insurance cover, it’s tempting to completely focus on your students. However, classes can’t go ahead if you or your teachers are out of action, which can have a huge impact on your business. Accidents happen – whether you slip while demonstrating complex footwork, or trip on speaker wires. This is where personal accident insurance can help. Adding this cover to your policy means you may be able to claim financial support until you or your team member are able to return.

What cover is available for dance teachers?

In dance teaching, professional treatment liability insurance and public and products liability can all provide key industry protection. Professional, treatment and public liability insurance from Hiscox provides specialist protection using aspects of several insurance types.

Whether you’re looking for ballet instructor insurance or you teach contemporary classes, building the right cover is important. From personal accident cover to buildings insurance, legal protection and cyber, we offer a range of options to suit your needs as a dance teacher.

Very quick and efficient service allowing the business to get on with the day job.
Read all reviews
Build cover for your business in minutes

Tell us about your business – We’ll help you to build your quote and explore your insurance needs.

Build my cover

Insurance for dance teachers FAQs

Is insurance a legal requirement for dance teachers?

If you employ staff other than yourself, whether that’s a personal assistant or a team of dance teachers, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement (external link). While other types of insurance are optional, there’s always a level of risk involved in your work due to public interactions and the advice you give. Dance teacher insurance protects you from unexpected costs.

Does insurance cover me for teaching classes at different venues?

Yes, if you work with Hiscox to build the right cover for your business, you’ll be covered for teaching at different venues. Public liability cover, available as part of our combined, sector-specific policy, covers you and your teachers whether you’re set up in a permanent dance studio or rent premises for different classes. If you take your own equipment to different venues, like speakers or a microphone, it might be worth considering portable equipment insurance too.

Does the type of dance I teach impact what cover I need?

Whether you’re in search of ballet teacher insurance or ballroom teacher insurance, Hiscox can work with you to tailor the perfect cover for your business. Dance is a physical sport, so teaching any variety of dance comes with risk of accidents or injuries. Professional, treatment and public liability insurance will help protect your business from potentially costly compensation claims. If you employ staff, employers’ liability insurance may be essential (external link) for you.

Does insurance for dance teachers cover me for performances or shows?

It’s a good idea to invest in a tailored insurance policy that includes public liability cover if your dance school puts on shows. For dance teachers, this is available as part of professional, treatment and public liability cover. Not only will you have an audience to think about, but live events also introduce factors you can’t plan for. You might take equipment with you, such as your sound system, professional lighting and possibly a laptop. To make sure these valuable items are covered, add portable equipment insurance to your policy for an extra layer of reassurance.

What is personal accident insurance for dance teachers?

Personal accident insurance for dance teachers provides financial support if they’re unable to work due to a physical injury as a result of an accident. If you or one of your key employees are incapable of working for over two weeks, we’ll pay £250 per week until you’re able to return to the dance studio to teach. Taking out this type of cover as part of your dance instructor insurance package can prove invaluable if an injury occurs.

image showing video camera

A guide to YouTube marketing

Does your dance teacher venture need new customers? In this guide to YouTube marketing for small businesses, Ronnie Brown explores the role of video content.

image showing business owner working at computer

What business insurance does a sole trader need?

Being an independent contractor means a lot of IT responsibilities fall to you, whether you fix glitches or simply consult – discover what business insurance you need as a sole trader.

image showing code on digital tablet

Cyber readiness in tech, media and communications

Take a closer look at how cyber secure the technology, media and communications sector is in this article.