Business insurance for translators

As a translator or interpreter, you’re relied on as an expert in your field and expected to work to the highest standards of accuracy. Protecting your business and clients with insurance could prove to be beneficial.

At Hiscox, we understand that accidents and mistakes, however rare they may be, can and do happen. You could make an error while working to a brand’s tight translation deadline, or you may click a malicious email link, exposing client data to hackers.

In an interpreter’s line of work, problems can arise from contact with the public too. Business insurance can help to cover legal expenses if an interpreter faces a complaint about an accident at an event or help a translation business to recover key documents after a cyber-attack.


Online quote in 5 minutes

Get a quote


Why choose Hiscox for translator insurance?


Receive up to £100 with the Hiscox refer-a-friend scheme*

Policyholders could receive up to £100 by recommending business insurance through our refer-a-friend scheme

*T&Cs apply


Quote and buy online

Tell us about your business and you could get a quote and purchase your policy in minutes 


Flexible insurance

Hiscox customers can make unlimited changes with no fees and pay monthly

Get insurance for your business

Tell us what you do

First of all, tell us what you do

You've told us:

Looks like you're having trouble finding an exact match.

We may be able to offer you cover based on your business sector.

Looks like you're having trouble finding an exact match.

We may be able to offer you cover based on your business sector.

Your industry
Your turnover

Person signing a document with a fountain pen
The simple, no-nonsense application process made the whole experience painless and quick.
Nigel Cook Consulting Ltd
Read all reviews
Get a quote online

Tell us more about your business and work to build appropriate cover.

Build my cover

Why do translators need insurance?

Printing error

A brand has entrusted you with the translation of their brochure and website copy ahead of a new campaign. You spot a small mistake after the brochure has gone to print and know it’s too late to amend. While you can easily change the website content, editing and reprinting the brochures will prove costly, both financially and for the client’s timelines. In the event a claim is brought against you for a slip-up, insurance for translators with professional indemnity cover built in could prove invaluable.

A conference injury

You’ve taken the step to become a freelance interpreter. Among your first jobs is a dream booking, working at an international conference in Japan. It’s a massive event, and your task is to perform simultaneous interpretation during presentations. The nature of this work means all your attention must stay focused firmly in the sound booth. Unfortunately, this means you fail to realise when a member of the public approaches the box of spare audio equipment you’ve brought along. When they trip and sue for damages, your public liability insurance can help with compensation costs.

Misplaced memory stick

One of your translators takes a train from Sheffield to London, then uses the underground to reach a meeting. Somewhere along the way, a memory stick containing sensitive client data is lost. Should this information find its way into the wrong hands, the implications for both your business and that of your client could be serious. Cyber and data insurance can provide key reassurance both practically and financially in these circumstances.

What insurance is available for translators?

Translator firms and self-employed interpreters alike may benefit from including other types of insurance, such as personal accident and cyber and data cover, in their Hiscox policy.

Insurance for translators: FAQs

Will I be covered for work overseas?

Yes, as long as you live in the UK, your Hiscox policy will cover your personal liabilities when you work overseas.

We understand that being a translator, or interpreter has the potential to take you all over the world, so it could be important for you to have insurance cover to match your situation.

Whether you work for an international agency and attend global conferences and events or operate as an interpreter for diplomats or politicians, you’ll need to travel to where the work is.

What’s the difference between a translator and an interpreter?

A translator is a professional who has specifically studied and trained to adapt the written word from one language to another. Meanwhile an interpreter is an individual who has carried out training to translate the spoken word orally between separate languages.

While these two roles are different from one another, Hiscox translator insurance covers interpreters and translators in the same way. With our tailored approach, you can mould your policy to include everything you need for your specific business purposes.

Why does a translator need professional indemnity insurance?

Translators and interpreters provide a professional service for clients that requires amplified levels of attention to detail.

If anything were to go wrong, your sentences could include misleading messages or even cause offense. Such issues could be damaging to both the reputation of your client and your professional standing.

Professional indemnity insurance for translators can provide reassurance. It covers negligence or breach of duty of care, infringement of intellectual property rights, accidental breach of confidence, defamation and civil liability, so you can focus on diligent work.

coding on digital device

The small business guide to cyber attacks

You might be a sole trader or run a large translation company. No matter the size of your business, it’s wise to learn the threat cyber attacks can pose.

professional making notes in book

How to manage risk in communications

Working in marketing, advertising and communications can be a dynamic and exciting environment – understanding how to manage risk helps keep things positive.

woman opening laptop in cafe with coffee

‘Side hustle’ culture – the new norm?

According to research, one in four Brits has a ‘side hustle’ in addition to their full-time employment – is this culture the new norm? Learn more with our blog.