Why choose Hiscox Contents Insurance?

Depending on your circumstances, we may provide unlimited cover for contents. Unless stated otherwise, the total amounts we'll pay out for loss of, and damage to, your belongings is unlimited. And you won’t need to list every item in your home, just let us know if you have any items, pairs or sets worth £15,000 or more, and the overall value of any jewellery, art and collections.

You’ll also benefit from:

  • Accidental damage for your buildings and contents. Which is included as standard
  • Exceptional claims service "At a very stressful time your staff were really lovely. Very helpful and knowledgeable. We chose Hiscox some years ago because you have a great reputation and following our dealings with you I can understand why. Thank you for all your help and your speedy response to our claim."  Hiscox Home Insurance customer, L. Cook.
  • Dedicated claims handler. Assigned to all house insurance claims as standard.

Claims Case Study: Tracking Down a Treasured Ring

When a customer lost his late dad’s signet ring while doing a spot of gardening, we didn’t beat about the bush. We brought in a metal detectorist to track it down and ensure a happy ending.

Telephone enquiry number
Call on 0800 247 1902
Telephone enquiry hours
Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm, excluding bank holidays. Calls are free from a landline

Hiscox Claims Story: A Thoughtful Proposal

What does our contents insurance cover?

The contents you can insure are often described as the items that you’d take with you if you were moving house. This includes furniture, electrical appliances, smaller possessions, and fixtures like curtains and carpets.

We’ll cover your expenses to replace stolen items or damaged items in your home. We’ll also cover loss of essential items like laptops and desktop computers.

The types of items that are protected by our contents insurance include:

  • home furniture
  • electronic goods (computers, tablets, mobile phones etc.)
  • clothes, shoes and accessories
  • paintings, pictures and sculptures
  • carpets and curtains
  • bicycles

If you’re renting a property, it’s likely that you’ll want to protect the items listed while someone else insures the building you live in. We can provide insurance for your belongings if you’re renting a property (sometimes known as tenants’ contents insurance). Simply select a contents-only quote when you’re choosing the type of cover.

Hiscox UK

Rated 4.7 out of 5 for satisfied customer service

670 reviews

Check your eligibility

Call us to get a personalised quote

  • Award-winning claims service
  • Accidental damage for your buildings and contents included as standard
  • Dedicated claims handler is assigned to all claims

Speak directly to our insurance experts 0800 247 1902

Mon - Fri, 9:00am to 5:00pm

How much contents insurance do I need?

 ‘How much should I insure my contents for?’ is one of our frequently asked questions. We may provide unlimited cover for contents unless stated otherwise to help you minimise the risk of being underinsured.

How much is our contents insurance?

The cost of our contents insurance can vary depending on many factors. For example, where you live, the contents you own, and your previous claims history. We’ll look at all these factors and more to provide a personalised quote for you.

The cost of your policy will also relate to the scope of your cover. For example, whether your items are covered away from home, or whether certain types of claims have a maximum pay out cap. To find out how much it would cost you to insure your contents with us, get a quote now.

To find out more about Hiscox Home Insurance, read our policy documents:


Check your eligibility

  • Worldwide cover for up 60 days as standard
  • Dedicated claims handler assigned to all home insurance claims as standard
  • Award-winning claims service

Our online eligibility checker will see if this cover is right for you.

Existing customer

If you already have a policy with us and need to get in touch, our home insurance specialists are here to help.

Make a claim

When things go wrong, we’re the experts in putting it right
Need to make a claim?

Our claims promise

Our UK-based claims handlers are here to act swiftly and in your best interests. Find out more about our superior claims service.