In office cover, what counts as ‘buildings’ and what counts as ‘contents’?

Office buildings’ covers the fabric of the building itself and the improvements you have made to its structure.
Office contents’ covers all the items you store inside or remove from the building.

Who is covered by my policy?

In general our insurance covers the business named on the policy schedule. In addition some types of insurance, such as professional indemnity, may also cover the directors, partners and senior managers of the business.

I don’t have my Employer Reference Number (ERN) right now, can I still buy employers' liability insurance?

Yes you can still buy an employers' liability policy, but you will need to send us your ERN details as soon as you can.

How do I submit an ERN?

An ERN is given to every business that registers with HM Revenue & Customs as an employer.It may also be referred to as an employer PAYE reference. If you have taken out employers' liability cover with us, you will need to provide us with your ERN.If you did not have your ERN to hand when you took out your policy and need to return the form that you received with your quote documents, you can send this by email to [email protected].We will then update your policy, but you will not need any further documentation from us.

How can I cancel my policy?

You can cancel your policy by calling us.

Some insurance policies, such as professional indemnity insurance, are provided on a “claims made” basis. This means that the policy needs to remain active for a claim to be covered. If you choose to cancel these insurances, and later need to make a claim, that claim will not be covered. If you are no longer trading, and would like to continue your cover in case a claim arises in the future, we have two options which can continue to cover your historical work.

  1. Hibernation: if you are between contracts, hibernation allows you to continue with your insurance policy at a reduced premium, which gives you peace of mind that you will continue to be insured for past work. Once you start a new contract let us know and we will bring your policy out of hibernation to cover your new work as well. 
  2. Run-off: if you are retiring or have finished trading and your policy operates on a claims made basis*, you can put it into ‘run-off’, which allows you to stay covered for work you have already done if anything comes to light later on. Some professions, such as accountants, are required to have this for a certain number of years after they have finished trading.

* For more detail on 'claims made basis' policies, please refer to 'What is the difference in my ability to claim if I have a policy on an ‘any one claim’ basis, rather than an ‘aggregate’ basis?' in the 'About my quote' section above.

Call on 0800 2800 351 Mon - Fri, 8am to 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm excluding bank holidays.

Related FAQs

If you haven't found the information you need, see if we've caught your query in our business insurance FAQ hub. Here,  you'll find answers to questions on the specifics of our policies, information about the types of cover you might benefit from, and FAQs on making payments.

Questions about your policy terms

Questions about your insurance quote

Questions about payments

Get a quote for your business in minutes

  • Award-winning claims service
  • Immediate coverage and documentation
  • No admin fees if you amend your policy

Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts. Call us on 0800 2800 351

Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts