Your home is probably your most valuable asset, so if you’re planning to carry out building works it pays to make sure you, your property and your investment are fully protected. If the unexpected happens - a collapsed wall, a serious fire or theft – you need to know that your insurance policy will cover the costs. Hiscox Home Insurance includes cover for renovation and extension projects up to £75,000 a standard, protecting your existing home, new structure, materials and liabilites. For projects over £75,000 Hiscox Renovation and Extension Insurance can be added to a new, or existing, Hiscox Home Insurance policy.

Our market-leading renovation and extension insurance offers the highest level and quality of cover you will find on the market – whether you’re renovating your dream home or extending a listed building, we provide a fully comprehensive policy.

What is renovation and extension insurance?

Hiscox Home Insurance automatically includes cover for your home and personal possessions where you are having building works up to £75,000. Our renovation and extension cover can be added to your home insurance policy for projects over that value. It will give you comprehensive insurance for your buildings, contents and materials while the works are being done. The cover makes sure that you have the right level of protection against increased risks associated with a higher value project.

Why do I need Hiscox Renovation and Extension Insurance?

With some insurers, a renovation or extension on your home may reduce the protection of your current home insurance policy or invalidate it completely, leaving your biggest asset potentially uninsured. Most insurers will ask you to notify them of the works and may either withdraw or limit the cover provided. This might mean that you are not covered for certain risks associated with the works, such as:

  • damage to your property and contents
  • theft of possessions and building materials
  • personal accidents
Hiscox UK

Rated 4.7 out of 5 for satisfied customer service

670 reviews

Speak to our UK based experts to get a quote for Renovation and Extension Insurance

0800 042 0321

Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts

What kind of risks and costs does Renovation and Extension Insurance cover?

  • The existing structure – your home remains fully insured against damage and loss.
  • Your possessions – the items in your home or temporarily in storage because of the works.
  • Alternative accommodation – if your property becomes uninhabitable due to loss or damage from the building works.
  • Building materials and equipment – those that are on-site but not yet fitted to the property e.g. kitchen units.
  • Works in progress – the sections of the property that are still under construction.
  • Public liability – if an accident happens as a result of your building work - for example, a roof tile falling and hitting a passer-by – then you're covered.

Key benefit of our Renovation and Extension Insurance cover

By taking out a Hiscox Home Insurance policy and adding our renovation and extension cover for projects over £75,000, there is no need to switch between insurance companies and different policies. It will cover the duration of the works with no gaps in your protection and means there’s no need to purchase a separate specialist building works policy.

How does renovation and extension cover work?

First you need to have a Hiscox Home Insurance policy. By speaking to one of our insurance experts, you can immediately add the renovation and extension cover to your policy for the duration of the works.

If you need to make a claim, our award-winning claims team will assist you with getting your project back and up running as soon as possible. We will give you a dedicated, named claims handler wherever possible, who is there to take care of your case quickly, efficiently and fairly.

Once you've notified us that your project is complete, we'll remove the cover and your home insurance policy with us will continue without interruption.

What should you do if you're a current Hiscox customer and are planning building works?

In all cases where you're planning to extend, renovate, build or demolish any part of your property to a value below £75,000 you do not need to contact us to let us know about the works.

If the estimated cost of the works is more than £75,000 contact our insurance experts to notify us before the works begin, we can talk about your needs and add the Renovation and Extension cover to your policy.

Speak to our UK based experts to get a quote for Renovation and Extension Insurance

0800 042 0321

Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts

Existing customer

If you already have a policy with us and need to get in touch, our home insurance specialists are here to help.

Make a claim

When things go wrong, we’re the experts in putting it right
Need to make a claim?

Our claims promise

Our UK-based claims handlers are here to act swiftly and in your best interests. Find out more about our superior claims service.