Life changing events

Significant life changes can come out of nowhere. That’s why we do our best to help take the stress out of difficult times by making policy changes as painless as possible.


Losing a loved one can be difficult for you and your family, without the stress of organising finances afterwards. That’s why we’ll do our best to give you all the help you need and make everything as simple as possible.

If you have a joint policy and aren’t used to dealing with your insurance, our call centre team will be happy to assist with any questions.

What to do next

Before removing a joint policy holder, or cancelling a policy, we’ll ask you for a death certificate. If you’re not named on the policy we’ll need to see the executor of estate document too.

You can email a copy of the death certificate or executor of estate document to us at [email protected] or send it via post to Hiscox, 22 Bishopsgate, London, EC2N 4BQ. If you’re posting documents, please send a copy of the original as we can’t guarantee safe return. This doesn’t need to be a certified copy.

Please be aware that until we receive the documentation you may still receive post in the name of the deceased and payments may still be processed from their account. We’ll always do our best to make you aware of this where we can.

Do I need to review my Home Insurance cover?

The contents of homes can change following a bereavement, which may impact your premiums. When you feel ready to review your sums insured, please call us so we can make sure you have the right level of cover.

What happens if my home is unoccupied?

If the deceased’s home is left unoccupied, cover will be restricted. Please refer to the policy wording for more information – if you don’t have a copy, let us know and we can send another.

It will still be insured against fire, lightning and explosion.

What if there’s no will?

This is known as ‘intestate’ and means it may take longer to sort things out. We’ll just ask that you keep us updated as things progress.

What is an executor?

As a general rule, one person takes the lead in sorting an estate and is known as the executor. To get this status you need to apply to the local courts for a legal document, known as ‘grant of probate’. In some cases, a solicitor can be the executor.

The executor’s role is to sort and give away the items to the family (next of kin) or people named in the will. Once an item has been given to a beneficiary, it becomes their responsibility to arrange insurance cover for it.

Can valuable items be passed on before grant of probate?

It’s very common for valuable items to be given to the beneficiaries ahead of the grant of probate or settlement of the full estate. This is because the person inheriting is known, and the items are passed quickly for both security and sentimental reasons. At this point our policy no longer provides cover for such items and the sums insured should be updated accordingly. Please check the policy wording to see if contents are covered and take note of any restrictions should the property be left unoccupied.

Divorce & Separation

We understand this is a difficult time and can help update your policy. The homeowner’s insurance should be in the name of the person who remains in the home after the divorce or separation.

If the person moving out still has a financial stake in the building or contents, they should remain on the policy or take out their own. Please call us if you’d like to talk through your options.

What to do next

Please ask them to give us a call so we can remove them from your policy. We’ll need to speak to them to gain their consent to being removed – please let us know if there’s any sensitive issues we need to be aware of when approaching this conversation.

Do I need to review my Home Insurance cover?

We understand that contents can change following a divorce or separation and this could impact your premiums. Please call us to review your sums insured so we can make sure your level of cover is still correct.

What happens if my home is unoccupied?

If your home is left unoccupied, cover will be restricted. Please refer to your policy document for more information – if you don’t have a copy, let us know and we can send another.

If it’s unoccupied for longer than the policy states, please give us a call. It will still be insured against fire, lightning and explosion.

Claims Support

We understand the circumstances surrounding some of our claims can be tied to difficult life events. If you need help, please give us a call and we can discuss how to best offer support.

Depending on the nature of your claim and where you live, we could send a Hiscox claim handler to your home to discuss the loss in person, if you would find this easier.

We’re here to help

For help with bereavement, divorce and separation, or any other changes of circumstances, please give a call on 0330 828 6193 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

If anyone over the age of 18 has moved into your home, please check your statement of facts to ensure their answers are the same as yours. If they differ, please give us a call to discuss.