Unoccupied Properties

What you need to consider when insuring unoccupied properties

Many insurers consider a property unoccupied if it has been vacant for just 30 consecutive days. However, at Hiscox we appreciate that some people enjoy extended holidays. That’s why Hiscox Home Insurance covers properties even when they’re vacant for up to 60 days at a time. If your main home is insured with us, we also provide second home insurance or UK holiday home insurance.

If you know your main home will be unoccupied for more than 60 days, just let us know so we can make sure your cover isn’t affected.

In the event that your home becomes permanently unoccupied, you would need to seek specialist insurance as we’re unable to provide cover for vacant properties.

When insuring an empty house, bear in mind it might be more expensive than standard building insurance. This is because vacant properties can be at higher risk of squatters, vandalism or fire.

To help mitigate these risks, you should take the following steps: 

  • Inspect the property regularly
  • Ensure repairs are done swiftly
  • Remove all valuables
  • Seal letter boxes to reduce vandalism
  • Secure your property with high security window and door locks
  • Set the burglar alarm (if there is one)
  • Turn the heating on or keep it on a frost alert setting during winter
  • Switch off utilities

If building work is underway on an empty property, potential insurers will consider the following: 

  • Health and safety of workers on the building site
  • The extent of the building works being carried out
  • The duration of the works
  • Professional competence of contractors carrying out the works
  • If the contractors are not adequately insured for the work they are carrying out, you could be held liable for any damage or injury they cause


Why choose Hiscox Home Insurance?

To help make sure you’re never underinsured, our new home insurance provides unlimited cover. This means that whatever the value of your loss, you can be confident you’re covered. You only need to list any items, pairs or sets worth £15,000 or more and give us a total value for any jewellery, art and collections. For certain claims, such as the loss of money while away from home or tracing and repairing a leak, there’s a maximum amount we’d pay. However, the art and collections insurance we provide, as well as our high value jewllery cover, is still higher than most other home insurance policies. Visit our cover details page to learn more.

We can cover your home even if it’s going to be unoccupied for up to 60 days at a time.

Learn more about Hiscox house insurance >


Hiscox Home Insurance does not cover homes that are permanently unoccupied.

To find a broker who can help you insure an unoccupied property, visit the British Insurance Brokers’ Association website.

Write a comment
Quote Very satisfied with the service from Hiscox as always Quote

Hannah, London

Did you know
Your Hiscox home insurance policy covers you for single items worth up to