Home Security Tips
May 09, 2009
Keeping your home safe and secure
Protect your home from burglars
- Consider chain-link fencing or trellises with prickly shrubs – walls, solid fencing, trees and shrubs can allow a thief to break in without being seen and give them somewhere to hide
- Make sure that garden tools or ladders that could be used to force entry into your home are not left lying around
- Join your local Neighbourhood Watch scheme and display a sticker in your window
- Fit a home security system to fend off burglars.
Fitting the right locks
- Always lock your doors and close the windows when you go out, even for a short time
- All external doors should have 3 locking points. Mortice locks will add considerable strength to your door
- Window locks can help to stop people getting in, especially in older windows and windows without double glazing
- Use deadlocks if you have them – they make it harder for thieves to get out again
- Make sure replacement windows and doors have good built in locks and a fitted chain, as these can be expensive to add afterwards
- Patio doors should have special locks fitted to the top and bottom.
Out of sight
- Don’t leave spare keys outside, in a garage or shed, and keep keys out of sight in the house
- Don’t leave window and door keys in their locks
- Always draw your curtains at night and make sure valuable items cannot be easily seen from outside.
Keep your details safe
Destroy and preferably shred receipts with your card details on and post with your name and address on. Identity fraudsters don’t need much information in order to be able to clone your identity.
Give the impression that you’re in – even when you’re not
Set timers on your internal lights if you will be out of the house overnight to give the impression that someone is at home.
And if you own a second home or a holiday home, there are a number of simple second home security tips that can help maintain your property and keep it safe even when you are not there all year round. Find out more about protecting your home with a Hiscox Second Home Insurance policy. If you own a dream holiday home buy your peace of mind with Hiscox’s holiday home cover.
For more information on preventing crime visit crimestoppers-uk.org.