- Hiscox urges homeowners to protect their properties from flooding -
LONDON, UK, (1 May 2012) – With heavy rain and potential flooding forecast, home and contents insurer Hiscox urges homeowners to take some practical steps to help prevent water entering their property and the subsequent damage. This comes as The Met Office has put out flood warnings for parts of the UK.
Joanne Musselle, Head of UK Claims, comments: “The heavy rain could cause severe damage to homes but taking some basic steps can reduce the risks.”
Preparation is important to help minimise damage. Hiscox’s tips to help protect your property:
- Move anything of value including furniture, electrical equipment and valuables (including photographs and sentimental items) to upper floors
- Prepare an emergency kit in case you are trapped or need to evacuate - this should include blankets, torches, waterproof clothing, food, water, a shovel and a first aid kit
- If you don’t know, find out how to turn off the electricity supply (in the dark if necessary)
- Make copies of all your important documents and store them in a dry safe place which is easily accessible
- If there is a known or recurring problem, prepare for flooding by placing sandbags around the perimeter of your house, especially doorways and places where water can easily seep in
- Relocate your cars to safer areas
- Prepare a list of important emergency phone numbers, including emergency helplines for your local water company and insurance company.
The Hiscox 24 hour emergency helpline is 0845 213 8400 if you purchased your home insurance policy directly from Hiscox and 0800 731 3639 if you purchased through a broker
More information on protecting your home against flood risks.
- ENDS -
For further information please contact:
+44 (0) 207 448 6494
+44 (0)20 7448 6470
+44 (0)20 7074 1837
Hiscox, the international specialist insurer, is headquartered in Bermuda and listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE:HSX). There are three main underwriting parts of the Group - Hiscox London Market, Hiscox UK and Europe and Hiscox International. Hiscox London Market underwrites internationally traded business in the London Market - generally large or complex business which needs to be shared with other insurers or needs the international licences of Lloyd's. Hiscox UK and Hiscox Europe offer a range of specialist insurance for professionals and business customers, as well as high net worth individuals. Hiscox International includes operations in Bermuda, Guernsey and USA. Hiscox Insurance Company Limited, Hiscox Underwriting Limited, Hiscox Europe Underwriting Limited and Hiscox Syndicates Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
For further information, visit www.hiscox.co.uk