As a psychologist, you play an important role in improving the happiness and wellbeing of your service users. As with any advisory service, mistakes can happen. And if an error in judgement negatively impacts a client’s life or health, your business could face a compensation claim. Psychologist insurance helps protect your business, and reputation, by covering you for any legal or financial costs should a claim arise – whether your business was at fault or not.

Professional treatment liability insurance

Despite your best intentions, a client could find fault with your psychological therapy if it negatively impacts their well-being or mental health. Even if your business wasn’t at fault, the cost of defending your case could be substantial. With professional treatment liability insurance, your business would be covered in the event of a malpractice claim.

More about Hiscox Professional Treatment Liability Insurance

Hiscox UK

Rated 4.7 out of 5 for satisfied customer service

2807 reviews
Call on 0800 2800 351 Mon - Fri, 8am to 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm excluding bank holidays.

Psychologist liability insurance

Psychologist liability insurance is one of the most important types of cover you need for your psychologist practice, especially if members of the public regularly visit your premises. Public liability insurance covers you if a member of the public claims they were injured or fell ill as a result of your business, or if you damaged their property by mistake. This type of psychologist insurance covers your business if:

  • You accidentally damage a client’s property - For example, if you damage a valuable piece of art while visiting a client’s home
  • A member of the public hurts themselves as a result of your work – For example, if a client trips on or falls off a broken chair during one of your therapy sessions

More about Hiscox Public Liability Insurance

Employers’ liability insurance for psychologists

Do you employ other psychologists, or staff in your practice? If so, there’s also a chance they could become injured or ill while working for you. If this happens, your employee could hold you responsible, and take legal action against you.

With employers’ liability insurance, your business would be protected against the cost of defending or settling this type of legal case. It would also cover the cost of any financial compensation. However, it’s worth noting this kind of psychologists’ insurance only covers your staff - it doesn’t protect you personally. 

More about Hiscox Employers’ liability insurance

Do I need both public liability + employers’ liability insurance? 

If you employ one or more members of staff, the law requires you to have employers’ liability insurance. Your business is not legally obliged to have public liability insurance, but it’s highly recommended. It’s worth noting that if you choose to take out only public liability insurance, your employees wouldn’t be covered in the event of an accident or incident. 

Start your business award 2017

Winner 8 years running

Office insurance

If you run a psychologist business, it’s likely you store your clients’ records and other important files on computer systems. Our office contents policy protects your home or office-based small business against the cost of replacing or repairing this kind of business equipment if it is accidentally damaged, lost or stolen. You can also add a range of specialist features to your cover such as:

  • Portable equipment – this covers equipment outside of the office, such as smartphones, tablets and laptops
  • Business interruption – this covers for any financial losses you may incur from being unable to operate due to an unexpected event, incident or business interruption
  • Equipment breakdown – cover for the sudden electrical or mechanical breakdown of your office equipment

More about Hiscox Office Insurance

Tailor your business insurance quote

  • Award-winning claims service
  • Immediate coverage and documentation
  • No admin fees if you amend your policy

Need more help? Speak to our UK-based experts. Call us on 0800 2800 351

Mon - Fri, 8am - 7pm, Sat, 9am to 2pm, excluding bank holidays. Calls are free from a landline and some mobile contracts

What is your profession?

Find out more about the range of insurance covers we offer to specific industries and professions in the list below: